An introduction to ad retargeting: How it can help your fantasy sports business

November 18, 2015

 

 

Programmatic advertising has changed the online advertising world, and is considered the future of ad buying. This form of advertising helps automate the decision-making process of media buying by targeting specific audiences and demographics. In its truest sense, programmatic ads are placed using real-time bidding (RTB) for online display, social media advertising, mobile and video campaigns. This RTB process is similar to the stock market, essentially auctioning off ad impressions in real time, based on an advertiser’s bid price, network reach and audience they are trying to reach. But in the fantasy sport arena, bidding on search parameters such as DFS, fantasy sports, fantasy football, etc., will likely get you outbid by the dominating companies in the space. So how can you compete in the programmatic space and convert visitors into customers? The answer lies in advertising retargeting.

 

Sobering fact: only about 2 percent of users convert to customers on the first visit to a website. Retargeting helps with that remaining 98 percent, allowing you to advertise your fantasy sports business long after they have left your site. The goal is to have them return to your site with the hopes of converting that return visitor into a lead.

 

Simplistically speaking, retargeting works by keeping track of people who visit your site (through various ways listed later in this post), and displaying your ads to them as they visit other sites online.

 

Have you ever gone to a hotel’s website to book a room, but decided to shop around for another hotel or better rate? Then you go to ESPN’s site to check the latest fantasy rankings and low and behold, there’s an ad for the hotel you just looked at. That’s a good example of retargeting.

 

So who exactly can be reached using retargeted ads? You’ve got a few options here:

  1. Visitors to your website

  2. Users who haven’t visited your site yet, but are searching using relevant keywords

  3. Social media followers

  4. Existing customers found in your database

There are several different ways to retarget that a reputable marketing firm can help with:

  1. Pixel-based – Retargeting occurs when a piece of code is added to your website. The code drops a cookie when a new user visits your website. That cookie allows your retargeted ads to be served up on other sites once the visitor leaves yours.

  2. Lists – You can target ads to your existing customer base. Upload your list to different social platforms like Facebook and Twitter and your ads will appear to those people on the list.

  3. Social – This type of retargeting tracks users on social media, based on how they consume content, particularly what they read and share.

Retargeting for fantasy sports sites can be huge to build and retain your customer base. The biggest benefit is keeping your site’s overall brand in front of prospective customers, or your existing customer base. Through repeated exposure, you’re inherently building brand awareness.

 

But your retargeting efforts are only as good as the ads and landing pages you design for each campaign. Try this:

  • Make sure you have a clear call to action on each ad. And when your visitors click on the ad, make sure the steps for action are clearly stated on the landing page.

  • According to marketing experts, your ad should appear in front of a user 7-12 times during a 30-day period to achieve maximum engagement.

  • Use a frequency cap to put a limit to the number of ads a user will see for you. Overserving an ad is a waste of time, resources and money.

  • If possible, segment your audience (prospects vs. customers, fantasy baseball vs. fantasy football, etc.)

So, retargeting can be a strong marketing technique for your fantasy sports business. If done correctly, you can reach the right audience to convert to a new customer or business opportunity.

 

Need help with your retargeting efforts? Contact FantasyMeter today at info@fantasymeter.com, or (817) 729-8771.

Please reload

Featured Posts

Adding PPC to your SEO arsenal

September 16, 2016

1/3
Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Google+ Basic Square

© 2019 by FantasyMeter LLC  |  Privacy Policy

 

Follow Us:

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White Google+ Icon
  • White LinkedIn Icon