Reaching a defined target audience online is an important part of any fantasy sports business’ digital marketing strategy. We’d love to say that there’s that one silver bullet that would garner the best results every time. But in reality, a cross-channel approach is your best opportunity to gain the most visitors, subscribers, or readers to your fantasy sports site. And as different marketing strategies begin to work in tandem, you’ll get better brand exposure, driving the right people to your site, and bringing them back after they’ve left.
Competition for site traffic is fierce in the fantasy sports world, and that’s where a cross-channel approach is going to be extremely important. You must be willing to flex some marketing muscle in order to truly compete. So when you’re looking for some cross-channel marketing opportunities, look no further than the one-two punch of PPC and search retargeting. These two coordinated marketing strategies can work together to drive conversions. And working in conjunction can intensify the effectiveness of each tactic.
Paid search, whether it be on Google, Bing, Yahoo, or a combination of all three, is a great direct response tool. Conversions are easy to track; you can integrate call tracking into your campaigns; and you have complete control over budget and targeting options. In the end, it’s one of the best digital marketing tactics to drive visitors to your website or campaign-specific landing pages. A few more facts to keep in mind:
PPC visitors are 50 percent more likely to purchase something than organic visitors. (Unbounce)
PPC ads can increase brand awareness by 80 percent. (Google)
On average, 41 percent of clicks go to the top 3 paid ads on the search results page (Wordstream)
All this being said, paid search isn’t that silver bullet referenced above. Driving traffic to your site is important, but shouldn’t be your end-all objective of marketing and brand awareness. According to Google, the average conversion rate from a PPC campaign is 2.7 percent. Seriously?! And once on your site or landing page, approximately 5 percent of website visitors convert on their first visit – that is, they subscribe to your analytics platform or projection system; they open an account for your DFS site; they sign-up for your newsletter or premium content. So what about the other 95 percent? That’s where search retargeting can help.
If you’re not familiar with search retargeting, here’s a quick primer. A visitor goes to Google, Bing or Yahoo and types in a search term, say “fantasy football projection system.” The search engine displays results, including any PPC results, and inserts a cookie pertaining to the keyword onto the visitor’s device. As the visitor moves on to other sites around the Internet, they will begin seeing banner ads pertaining to fantasy football projection systems. Creepy? Yes. Effective? Definitely.
Search retargeting allows you to capture the interest of a potential customer even if they didn’t necessarily visit your site previously. Serving up display ads across a network of sites is highly effective. According to Visually, display advertising has proven to increase traffic to websites by 300 percent.
Using PPC and Search Retargeting Together
Here’s where marketing savviness comes into play. Truly leveraging the power of PPC, in conjunction with retargeting, requires segmentation and message consistency.
For example, let’s say you’re a fantasy sports projection system company who focuses on MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL. You have four separate PPC campaigns, each dedicated to the individual fantasy sports you serve – each with sport-specific keywords to help deliver optimal results to the user. And for each of the campaigns, you create four separate landing pages for each league. Each landing page can integrate a separate retargeting pixel, thus helping to segment your overall audience. You would create four separate banner campaigns with creative elements that match the landing pages. Now as the user leaves your landing page and moves on to other sites, your banner ads would be served based on the retargeting pixel from the landing page. Think about the impact of serving a banner ad for a fantasy baseball projection system – something that the user has shown interest in based on a search - on another site, and another site, and another site, and another site. You can’t get brand awareness like this anywhere else.
This is a simple example, but shows that PPC and search retargeting can work together. Just make sure that your PPC keywords and ads, landing pages text and graphics, and banner ads text and graphics are all consistent. You’ll have a much more dramatic impact.
Need help with your PPC or retargeting initiatives? Contact FantasyMeter today at firstname.lastname@example.org or (817) 729-8771.